.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Runcorn, D. (2003)Choice, Desire and the will of God.SPCK 

My Lord God I have no idea where I am going,
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you,
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing,
And I know that if I do this
You will lead me by the right road,
Though I may know nothing about it. pp 62 (Merton thoughts in solitude pp 81)


Desires are not a question of what we are feeling. Desire is more than passing moofds and whim. Althogh feelings may be involved, desire is much deeper than feeling or even passion. Our desires are an expression of the deepest truth about ourselves. Discerning our desires will actually draw us closer to the mystery of who we are and our place within all that makes up our world. 76

Irenaeus 'The glory of God is the human person fully aive, and the life of humanity is to see God' 97

Over one-third of teh Psalma are somgs of lament, full of urgent qustioning and impatient petition: "answer me when I call 4.1; why o lord 10.1; do not forget 10.12; I am troubled 55.2" ... not a journey from doubt to faith. Lament is not the same as doubt. It taks faith to question God and cry out to him like that. It shows how close teh person is to GOd - not how far away... lament gives birth to praise and renews it 107

Psalms are seldom read systematically in public worship, we do not have to hear those unsettling cries of anguish and protest with the praise and worship prayers 108.

#
Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?